Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tips to Cut Your Monthly Living Expenses!

       I went to the grocery store last week to pick up a few things.  I grabbed some fruit, veggies, eggs, bread and a few other essentials.  The cashier could see the apparent look of shock on my face when she announced the total was $127.86.  After gathering up my packages, I wondered how I managed to spend quite that much.  I didn't even purchase any meat for dinners for the week!   As I walked to my truck I slowly ran through the prices of items.  Much to my chagrin there wasn't a cash register error.  Then I pulled my truck into the fuel island to fill up with gas for the week.  Granted I have a large SUV.  With 4 growing kids it was one of our only options besides a school bus.  As the gas continued to flow into the tank, I was once again shocked at the final total.   $102!  Yikes.... in under an hour I had spent almost $230.  That's basically a weeks worth of income after taxes from a minimum wage hourly job.  On the way home I decided I needed to discover ways to save on our monthly living expenses.  Gas and groceries are essentials but it time to trim the fat in other areas of our budget!

5 Tips to Cut Your Monthly Living Expenses
1. Search for cable tv deals when you bundle your tv, phone, and internet.
2. Contact your car insurance agent to inquire about discounts
3. Utilize coupons for groceries, oil changes, and gift purchases
4. Install a digital thermostat to program your furnace temperature settings.
5. Lower the temperature on your hot water heater.


         My first step towards saving was to eat at home more often.  Instead of going out to eat at a restaurant and then to the local movie theater.  I will make a nice dinner at home and then we gather on the couch to watch a few of our favorite tv shows.  I'm a reality show junkieI have the DVR set to record all my favorites including Survivor, Top Chef, and Kitchen Nightmares!   It's amazing how much you can really save on cable tv deals when you bundle all three services together.   I was able to save $50+ each month just by doing this alone!  My insurance agent was able to offer a discount on our policy because my husband holds a commercial drivers license, attended a defensive driving course, and is accident free.  It is also very common to receive a discount if you drive under a certain amount of miles annually or for a teen driver in the home with a high report card grades from school.   Lowering temperature settings on your furnace and hot water heater are easy changes to make and quite honestly I didn't even notice a difference.   If you are away from home during the day, program the thermostat to keep the temperature of the house 10 degrees lower than normal.  Small changes will add up throughout the year! Coupons for groceries are readily available in newspapers in magazines.  I was able to maximize my savings by planning meals, matching coupons with sales ads, and keeping my coupons organized to use on bonus clearance deals.  I also started looking for coupons to use towards oil changes, and clothing purchases for the kids.  There are so many ways to save on your monthly living expenses if your willing to make the effort!   What steps have you taken to save on your monthly living expenses?


*Sponsored Post ~ All opinions contained are my own.

10 comments:

  1. I am a huge lover of coupons. I recently saved $30 on a $90 grocery shopping trip and received $7 in catalinas off my next shopping trip for buying certain sale items I had coupons for in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coupons - but they don't seem to be for the items I buy, so I make a list and STICK TO IT!!

    I think a digital thermometer is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super tips--We have everything bundled...and we live for Q's the temp on the Hot Water tank is a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do a meal plan and grocery list and only shop once a week. If something is forgotten, we make do until the following week. It has made a huge difference. I only buy what we need for the week. I also use Snip Snap the Coupon App on my phone to find coupons for specifically what I'm buying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tips! Meal planning for an entire week, buying highly used foods at Sams Club (like water, Gatorade, and snacks), buy from Bountiful Baskets.org every other week for our produce, and I cut my kids and husband's hair once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar experience today between Target and the gas pump. :( NOt to mention my dog is at the groomer (but he was starting to look super shabby 7 weeks w/o a cut) I started making a bigger pile of books to sell at Half Price Books! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cut the cable! We bought an Apple TV machine for less than $100 We only pay $8 for Netflix streaming and $7 for Hulu Plus. Way cheaper and it's all on demand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maria, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coupons! Recently we went called our cable company and asked about specials. They had an amazing special going on so we switched to that plan, huge savings!! I also make it a point to never shop for anything without a list. Clothes, groceries, household items etc..I make a list for everything and I stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some great >green living tips. The real question is how many can be implemented!

    ReplyDelete