Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Building Your Own Home ~ Our Journey

    My family relocated to Central Texas for my husbands career in the aerospace industry.  Our transition was difficult.  After several months it was apparent Texas would be our permanent home.  After looking at several homes on the market, we decided it would be best to build a new home instead of purchasing an older home that would require improvements. Been there done that....hubs is capable but just doesn't have the time to work on the house after putting in long days at work.  Finding a 5 bedroom home in our price range would require some compromises. We focused on finding a great location in a area with good schools, and a nice size yard for the kids to play in!
The kids wanted to take pictures of each phase of construction.
I've often heard the saying ~ Building your own house will be one of the most trying processes a married couple will face.  We learned to compromise and stay focused on the goal ~ Our forever home!
     I love to create in the kitchen, its my favorite space in a home! In the future, I would like to install granite counter tops, led lighting under the cabinets, and recessed lights in the ceiling.
     The kids were beyond excited throughout the entire home building process which took approximately 4 months. We were able to move in one week before the new school year started which was perfect timing!  I will say we dealt with several delays in construction. At times, I felt like I was babysitting some of the contractors! But the day we moved into our forever home made all of the stress over the months worth it.  My kids each have there own rooms and they love to have their own space! 

    Everything is now unpacked and the kids are settled in their new schools!  Its now time to focus on decorating. Not one of my strong points at all. I will document the journey as I complete each space!  What are your favorite colors to decorate with? Do you prefer art work or family photos on the walls?  Any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated!
This sponsored post was made possible by SheHeard. I have been compensated for my time and work on this campaign, however all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

6 comments:

  1. What a great looking house and family! Coming from someone who is in the process of decorating, don't let yourself get overwhelmed. And my best advice is to live with what you love! I'm so happy for you and your family and wish you all the best in your Forever home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! The house looks great! Maybe you can do decals in your living room, like "Family, Love, Hope.." Have fun decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice I like the brick work very much. I would go to BH&G and look for ideas for color and decor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! How exciting! All those decisions would be hard for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photos! good idea to take them during the building. It is so nice to start new! Good luck in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a journey indeed for a married couple to build their home. I'm happy that yours was a success! It's a great idea that you preferred building a house than purchasing an old one. My husband and I decided to do the same. Being able to determine the entire style and appearance is my favorite part and perk of the process. Congratulations on your forever home! :)

    Miley Waterman

    ReplyDelete