Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unjunk Your Junk Food Book Review

     As a Naturally Savvy Blogger, I was sent Unjunk Your Junk Food.   A book written by Andrea Donsky and Randy Boyer with Lisa Tsakos!   After reading through the first couple of pages, I was intrigued to read on.  When I first started my green journey. I was bombarded with information! I felt like I was getting a grip on the right foods and ingredients, only to find out from another source, the same ingredient was unhealthy.  Case and point ~ Agave Nectar!! I can still remember the day I walked into my pantry, only to discover almost ALL of the snacks I had for my children, contained high fructose corn syrup!   It was even in our ketchup, peanut butter, and salad dressing.   I was horrified!  I wish at that moment,  I would have had Unjunk Your Junk Food to assist me in my search for healthier products!

The layout of the book is broken down into chapters based on what type of snack your looking for:
  • chips, dips, and party foods
  • ice cream & other frozen treats
  • cookies
  • chocolate
  • cakes and other desserts
  • granola bars & other on-the-go snacks
  • candy
  • soda & other drinks

    Once you find the appropriate chapter,  on the left page you will find an unhealthy snack balanced with a healthy alternative on the right page.  The book is very well written,  containing informative tips to help you on your journey to make better choices! The size of the book is 6 inches by 6 inches and fits right in my purse.  This makes it so easy,  when I'm at the grocery store to pull it out as a quick reference guide! Since reading the book, I now am able to make a quick informed decision,  before I put a product in my grocery cart!  Unjunk Your Junk Food has opened my eyes to the many tricks used to fool people into thinking a product is healthy , when it actually is not.  The most important piece of advice I got from the book,  is to really read the ingredient list of an item before you make a purchase.  
Avoid The Scary Seven:
  1. High Fructose Corn Syrup
  2. Trans-Fats
  3. MSG - Monosodium glutamate
  4. Artificial Flavors
  5. Artificial Colors 
  6. Artificial Sweetners
  7. Preservatives
 Unjunk Your Junk Food is available at Barnes and Noble bookstores and online at BN.com and Amazon.com !

   Follow Andrea Donsky, Randy Boyer, and Lisa Tsakos at NaturallySavvy.com for great tips on  leading a healthy green life!


'Like' Naturally Savvy on Facebook and 'fan' them on Twitter for your chance to win great natural and/or organic prizes.

I received a sample to facilitate this review! All opinions contained are my own.

1 comment:

  1. OH! I think I need this book!!

    Thanks for your review!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete