Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ben's Beginners~ Uncle Ben's Rice Kids Cooking Contest


       I have an exciting new contest to tell you about! Uncle Ben's Rice has created a fun contest to get you in the kitchen cooking with your children! Kids ages 5-12 can submit a 2-3 minute video creating a rice dish in the kitchen with their parents.

      A 2-3 minute video could win your family some AMAZING prizes!!  You could win $20,000, along with a $50,000 grant towards a cafeteria makeover for your child’s school.  The winning family will have a chance to appear on The Rachael Ray Show!

        Uncle Ben's is a huge supporter of healthy eating and family meals enjoyed together. Uncle Ben's wants to help you create a better beginning for your families meals!  This contest is a fabulous way to introduce your child to new foods, new textures, and healthy eating habits!

          I have had several moms ask me, "How do you get your kids to eat THAT?" My answer is simple...My children eat what I eat. I try to model good eating habits for them.  In exchange, they are more willing to try something new,  if they see I am open to new foods and new meals.  A great place to start this journey with your children is in the grocery store.  Take so time to explore the produce department. Let your child select a vegetable. Its always fun to try and  find a new unique food such as a star fruit!!   Let them hold it, smell it, etc... Give your child tips to select a ripe cantaloupe, tomato, or watermelon.  Then, let them weight it, figure out the price per pound. This will help them learn math skills plus encourage their participation in the kitchen. A child is more likely to sample a new food, if its one they have selected at the store and helped prepare in the kitchen.

     Uncle Ben's Rice is a staple in my pantry. It's so versatile and filling , feeds many on a small budget and doesn't spoil!! Some of my favorite meals have come from simply starting a bit of rice in a pan with some chicken stock, having my daughter slice up some veggies, that we have on hand than need to be used up before they spoil. Then, I add some sort of sauce and voila = a perfect meal.   Last week, my husband asked what was for dinner.   My response was ummm... some sort of rice concoction!!  I could have came up with a clever name, but my daughter and I were to busy whipping up dinner. In the pan, we put Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice with chicken stock substituted for water(it adds more flavor to your dish).   I let that cook for approximately 20 minutes, then to the pan, my daughter added a pound of browned ground turkey, black beans, diced onions, a can of corn, and a jar of green salsa.  She stirred it all together and cooked over low hot until all ingredients were heated thoroughly.  She served the "concoction" in a bowl with a bit of shredded cheese on top. DELISH! She wouldn't have tried the green salsa plain but loved it mixed in with the rice and other ingredients.

    I encourage you to get in the kitchen with your kids to create fabulous dishes with local produce and Uncle Ben's Rice, I would be so happy to see a Saving U Green reader win this contest! Good Luck!

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Uncle Ben’s blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for your lovely sharing.

    our websites are 徵信. and 台南室內設計.

    welcome to see us.

    ReplyDelete